i've had a thing for log cabin blocks and log cabin quilts, even before i started getting really serious about quilting.
variations of elements of the structure of the log cabin block provide an infinite array of resultant permutations...change the size of the centers, the size of the logs, use "traditional" or "modern" fabrics or maybe both at the same time, make it "wonky", use different shapes like rectangles, triangles, or hexagons, make one side lighter in value, and the other darker, use a lot of colors and/or patterns and make it scrappy, or limit the colors and make a really graphic or even minimal statement...and so forth and so on. the variations appear to be as unique and at least as numerous as the number of quilters who attempt to make one. i don't think i'll ever tire of playing with or looking at log cabin quilts!
i've been working on a loose series of log cabin quilts using a large variety of solid fabrics for a couple years now.
it kind of all started with this quilt that i made in 2012:
i got a little over-zealous with the cutting of "logs" when i made the aforementioned quilt (that happens A LOT, i get carried away, playing with the colors and thinking and cutting...!) and had a jillion of them left over.
so last year (2014) i rediscovered the stash of extra said logs that i cut, and decided to make the sashed quarter square log cabin you see at the top of this post. the green sashing fabric was part of a huge stash of 60s/70s/80s fabric i bought from a vendor at the randolph street market (said to be the collection of a now deceased but avid sewer, an alleged relative of a friend of the vendors who sold me the fabric).
something about the green fabric and how it sits with the log cabin blocks and the other colors feels really electric to me. i love how the top turned out! now i just have to settle on a way to quilt it!
my most recent log cabin exploration is this one:
which was made from still more leftover logs from the two previous log cabin quilts (plus heaps more logs i cut as i was making these blocks!). the photo above is from when i just got started...i played with "sunshine and shadow" variations and "courthouse steps" variations in the individual blocks, and had an almost criminal amount of fun making each and every block, pitting various colors off against one another and just seeing what happened when i did.
...and then i just kind of laid them out but didn't overthink that layout and just sewed it together. wheee! i'm still pondering how to quilt this one, but i am SERIOUSLY considering hand quilting it with circles and perle cotton. last week i made a small sample quilt with some leftover blocks i had from making this top, plus a layer each of cotton batting and thin mountain mist poly batting, and i seriously like the fluffy, puffy results (it was a combo i read about in sherri lynn wood's new book, thanks sherri!)...see below:
i have at least three more quilts in mind that riff off these quilts and attempt to take it in other directions. i want to add in prints, and add in other dimensions, too. you may sneak a (vague) peek below (grin!)...amongst other WIP bits on design wall.